Wednesday, May 27, 2009

About That DC Trip







I mentioned our trip to Washington DC in a previous post so I thought I would write a bit about it beyond W's potty exploits. I think Super B has downloaded our pics so I will try to post some of those as well.

Basically the trip was about walking, at least that is what my body was saying at the end of each night! We walked a lot. Our hotel was awesome with an incredible breakfast (made to order omlettes each morning... mmmmmmm) and while it wasn't too far from anything, it wasn't exactly close either. On the first day, we went to Capitol Hill and the Air and Space Museum. Both were great and the kids actually seemed to enjoy the Capitol building tour, though not as much as seeing the rockets. My beef (literally) with the A & S museum was that the yummy restaurant that used to be there has been sold out to MacDonald's. Blech. I had to eat my first fast food in ages and after walking 10 miles to get there a Happy Meal did not make me happy. However, that is just a pregnant hungry lady whining, the kids loved the treat and non of us starved for the rest of the day.

The next day we went Smithsonian hopping. Basically the Natural History Museum and the American History Museum. Super B and I could have stayed all day at the American History museum but it was crowded and the kids were a little museumed out at that point. Plus the hotel pool was beckoning them. Before succumbing to the call of the pool we hit the Washington Memorial and walked by the White House. That was the first time I had walked by the White House and not seen protesters. Kind of sad for me having done my share of protests while living in DC. I even prepared Bean for seeing some and she was excited. I guess everyone really does love Obama. (?)

Our last day was a trip to the zoo and lots of riding on the subway, W's fav activity of the trip. Pandas were cool, otherwise it was a zoo. Zoos are good but a zoo is a zoo so not really many details need to be relayed about this one. We took the subway into Maryland so the kids could add another state to their growing tally and then rode to the airport where we had just enough time to grab a bite and jump on our flight. It was a great weekend but I crashed hard that night!






No comments: