Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Nausea Vacation

I have been stubborn, I admit it. My plan is to give birth at home with a midwife. No interventions just me, my baby and my body doing what it is designed for. However, my "beautiful" plan did not include being too sick to interview and choose a midwife in the first trimester, nor did it include a fight with my insurance company. It also did not include a trip to an OB.

So here I am at around 12 weeks, puking my guts up and wishing I were dead, and my husband about to grant me that wish as he is fed up with me not seeing an OB, or midwife for that matter. And you know what he was right. I have always said I will choose to have my pregnancy and birth overseen by the careprovider that I feel can provide the best outcomes for me and the baby. That careprovider is generally speaking a midwife, however, right now I needed some extra help. Super B literally called my old OB and dragged me kicking and screaming into her office.

You would have thought my sweet OB was brandishing a shotgun as she approached me with that sono wand the way I was blubbering and carrying on. It just felt so wrong to be getting a sono, to be naked under a sheet at a place I had not planned on going to this time. Of course then she stuck that wand in and there was my gorgeous baby wiggling away. Tears of another sort started to flow. I can't believe it, I am really pregnant!!!! There is a baby in there! She said the amniotic fluid was OK, so while I need to keep trying to get fluids in, I can avoid a lovely stay at hotel Las Colinas hospital.

She did a short scan, with me trying to keep it shorter. She also did a nuchal thickness test without asking me. At first that made me angry, but it is hard to stay mad when she said it looked great. I would have never gotten that test on my own, I don't do any of the genetic tests with my pregnancies, but ummm, well it is nice to know that for the most part Down Syndrome is not an issue, especially since I am in the magic zone that OB's like to call Advanced Maternal Age (insert scary music). So much for informed consent though.

So onto, the real reason for posting, my nausea vacation. OB wrote me a script for some meds...and I took them. I slept for 12 hours (minus a few quick potty trips) without getting up to puke in the night. I cannot take this drug in the day, since it turns me into a zombie. However, I will be taking nausea vacations every night until I feel better. Do I feel guilty for this. Heck no. LOVE the nausea vacation. Can't wait until tonight when I can pop the next one in.

New goal, midwife hired by 16 weeks.